32 Tower Rd, Lincoln, MA 01773, USA
For Sale, Pending Sale
A lovely jewel box of a home, the Cyrus Murphy House, named for the architect who designed it for his own family, is one of the two earliest modernist houses in Lincoln (the other being the Henry Hoover House, with each predating the more famous Gropius House). The Cyrus Murphy House was originally quite modest and was significantly expanded by renowned modernist Lincoln architect, Henry Hoover, as well as a more recent addition from Gary Wolf Architects. The stewardship of the house has been impeccable, by Hoover’s daughter and son-in-law over the last four of five decades.
The property is located a private drive on old farmland off of Tower Road. Light streams in from abundant large windows. The indoor-outdoor relationship and views are nothing short of Zen perfection. Paths guide you through native plantings and a wooded hill provides serenity. The upper floor contains a front-to-back master suite. There is an additional bedroom, full bath, and an office on this floor. The main level has a flowing open plan. The most recent addition renovated and opened the kitchen into an eat-in/lounge area centered on the house’s second fireplace.
A truly rare offering.
This house is in a Lincoln Historic District. Documentation furnished upon request.
The 1936-1937 Cyrus Murphy House, designed and built by the owner, architect Cyrus Winthrop Murphy, was one of the first modernist houses built in Lincoln. Murphy and his family came to Lincoln from Belmont after his brother Ethan Murphy moved into the neighboring Powers-Murphy House.
Located on a wooded hillside lot, approached via erstwhile farmland, the house was built on a lot purchased from the Pierce family. “The house currently reflects alterations made by modernist architects Henry B. Hoover in 1975-76 and Gary Wolf in 2004-05. Reflective of modernism’s integration of house and setting, it also integrates with both the surrounding natural environment and adaptations to the site plan by landscape architect Kim Ahearn on the redesign/updates to the site, including the new patio, siting of the wood shed structures and parking area improvements. Jonathan Keep added additional updates to the landscape.
You can see a 2007 article that was in the Boston Globe Magazine here.