10 Partridge Rd, Lexington, MA 02420, USA
For Sale, Pending Sale
Coming the week of July 22. Open Houses July 27/28 1:00-3:00 each day. Use the contact info below for questions or showing requests.
If you’re a lover of midcentury-modern style and the efficient flowing and flexible floor plans of post-and-beam construction, how about this beautifully sited, slope-roofed 4-bedroom on a level lot of more than half an acre, across the street from the country-club-like heated neighborhood Paint Rock swimming pool? Available for the first time in decades, the home has been lovingly maintained and added to over time, including a front entry way; a kitchen bump-out; and a step-down addition with a dining room and office. Hardwood gleams through the main level (and is under carpet on the bedroom level). The soaring ceilings and oversized windows fill the house with light and a sense of airiness. The kitchen leads out to a deck overlooking the backyard with the sort of woodsy generous lot of the type that are found in the Turning Mill neighborhood. Conservation land and trails abound and of course the house is a stone’s throw from the highly beloved Estabrook School. Hop on a Lexpress bus into the town center, the mall, or shopping.
Eugene C. Roberts of Wayland (also known as Holiday Homes) was the builder of the house and most of the houses on Partridge Road as well as a good number on Turning Mill Road, using plans generated by Architectural Planning Associates, Architects. Charlie Hagenaw was the architect for the kitchen addition. Debra Adamson for the entryway.
The Turning Mill Neighborhood
Residents love the area due to its proximity to the highly desirable 2015-built Estabrook School (adjacent — many kids walk or bike) and because it offers membership in the country-club-like Paint Rock swimming pool, which was improved and updated in 2012. It also borders the vast Paint Mine conservation area, with beautiful walking trails. The Lexpress bus runs through. And a quick zip takes you down backroads to Whole Foods, Super Stop & Shop, Marshall’s, and so on in Bedford, or back the other way into the center of Lexington. And it is not far from Route 128.
Below is the swimming pool from summer 2012:
And here is a video from 2011:
The land for the Turning Mill neighborhood was purchased by the Techbuilt Corporation. There were three model homes. The first one built was 4 Turning Mill. Most people in Lexington know the area as Turning Mill, but it started out being referred to as Middle Ridge. Though it is now a large area of eight or nine streets, it started around Turning Mill Road and Demar Road, with Techbuilt houses designed by Carl Koch, before growing further north and west and incorporating other modern designs, most notably, the Peacock Farm-style house plan designed by Walter Pierce, who along with Danforth Compton founded Lexington’s Peacock Farm neighborhood on the other side of town. This design was licensed out to other developers, as was the case here in Turning Mill. There have also been some Deck Houses and custom homes built. The expanded part of the area is now referred to as “Upper Turning Mill.” There are now Facebook and neighborhood web pages for Turning Mill.
Research in part via Lexington Historic Survey, which notes:
Of the 95 homes in Middle Ridge, thirty-five are prefabricated “Techbuilt” homes.
Middle Ridge was originally conceived and designed in 1955 by architect Carl Koch as a neighborhood of “Techbuilt” homes. After receiving his architectural training at Harvard under Bauhaus founder, Walter Gropius, Koch taught architecture at MIT and created the first planned community of modern houses in the region at Snake Hill Road in Belmont in 1941. Prior to building in Lexington, he also designed and constructed Conantum, Concord’s first residential housing development (1951) and Kendal Common in Weston (1950). First introduced in 1953, the Techbuilt house was a low-cost, semi-factory-built modern style house which used modular construction.